For those who have not experienced the terrible pain of a migraine episode, you may think that it just feels like a really bad headache. There is definitely more than meets the eye when it comes to migraines, and there are many myths circulating out there. The truth is that migraines are an extremely common neurological condition – over 1 billion people worldwide are affected.
- 1 out of 4 migraine sufferers experience aura – visual disturbances that will accompany an attack. An aura can cause a person to see spots, wavy lines, or flashes of light.
- Migraines tend to run in families – about 90% of those affected have a family history of migraine.
- Children are impacted by migraines too – half of all migraine sufferers experienced their first attack before the age of 12.
- $36 billion a year is spent on healthcare costs associated with migraines across the United States.
- Migraines disproportionately affect women – 3 times more women than men deal with migraines at some point in life.
DEALING WITH MIGRAINES THE NATURAL WAY
In order to address migraines on any ongoing basis, the root cause must be identified and addressed. Otherwise, you get stuck in a symptom-chasing game that leaves you scrambling for solutions when you’re feeling bad. Migraines can often be linked to a small misalignment of the vertebra that sits at the very top of the neck just beneath the skull. When the atlas is not aligned properly, it can contribute to migraines in at least three ways – pressure on the brainstem hindering normal brain-body signals, disruption of normal blood flow to and from the head, and an interruption of normal cerebrospinal fluid flow.
As an upper cervical chiropractor, I am specifically trained to analyze for and correct misalignments of the atlas. The atlas can move in more complex ways than any other vertebra in the spine, and this requires a different level of expertise to address thoroughly. Our atlas corrections are gentle, specific, and designed to hold. This restores your body’s ability to heal and function normally, which can ultimately give you the lasting migraine relief you’ve been looking for.